Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wean Me Gently

I came across a beautiful poem today on my midwife's facebook page. It stirred me so much that I cried and decided to share it.



Mariah turned 6mos old this past Sunday. After working all weekend, she & I had a rough night Monday. She is usually a very "easy" baby. She awakens about 3 times a night to nurse and usually just falls right back to sleep. I don't know what happened Monday, but it was not one of our usual nights. She woke up around midnight screaming. I tried to nurse her and she turned away and continued to scream. I tried the other side, but she did the same thing. Leonard got up and walked her around a little and then asked me to try again...nothing! She swatted at my breast, turned her head, and screamed. I felt helpless. I thought maybe she was in pain or something. So I stripped her down and checked her out....nothing! Maybe her gums were bothering her. So I tried to give her a piece of a frozen banana that she usually LOVES...nothing! About 45 minutes later, I asked Leonard to warm up a bottle for her (of breastmilk). He looked at me all crazy, but I didn't know what else to do. Needless to say, she sucked those 5oz down like she was starving & immediately drifted back off to sleep. I was happy that she was finally happy. But I was sad because I thought this was the beginning of the end. The end to our beautiful nursing relationship that not only nourished her, but me as well.









Wean Me Gently
by Cathy Cardall


I know I look so big to you,


Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.

...But no matter how big we get,

We still have needs that are important to us.

I know that our relationship is growing and changing,

But I still need you.


I need your warmth and closeness,

Especially at the end of the day

When we snuggle up in bed.


Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.

I know you think I can be patient,

Or find something to take the place of a nursing;

A book, a glass of something,

But nothing can take your place when I need you.

Sometimes just cuddling with you,

Having you near me is enough.

I guess I am growing and becoming independent,

But please be there.

This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,

Please don't break it abruptly.

Wean me gently,


Because I am your mother,


2 comments:

Ali said...

I wasn't expecting the ending to the poem.. then I had to re-read it and teared up more the second time. I think I'll print it for my scrapbook... that I don't really have, but am always thinking I am going to make

MermaidLilli said...

Babies have those moments. I hope you did not take it personally. Love to you.
I knew that poem would have an impact on whomever read it. I loved it too and remember feeling that little stab in my heart.